Yesterday I told you about how I played my first 18 holes of golf, and it was fun to look back at my bucket list and see that learning to play golf was on there! Now I wouldn’t say that I have mastered it, but does anyone every master golf? But I have learned a lot and loved it and will hopefully keep it up, starting off with a few classes. But after finding my list, I figured it was about time to update it and mark tons of items off the list.
Why and What is a bucket list?
My kids and I had the discussion about what a bucket list is. I explained to them that it was a list of all the things you want to do before you die. Not just travel, but things you want for yourself. Your goals, dreams, and experiences. I read somewhere that you should be able to write your bucket list in 30 minutes to an hour. Yeah, that is not the case for me, it took me all day, and things kept popping in my head about what I wanted to add.
More than anything it was interesting to look back at my old list and see there were things that were not important to me anymore, so I had to remove them and add new things. I think that is key you have to look at your bucket list often and adjust. The reason for that is you grow, and you change. I am not the same person I was ten years ago, let alone the same person I was three years ago when we moved to Jakarta.
A Few Things I Wish I Had Known
You can see that travel is a big part of my list. I had always wanted to travel, but at the time Aaron wasn’t that interested in traveling. It wasn’t until we moved to Jakarta that he got the travel bug and wanted to do more. So, of course, there were places that were on my list, but living in Jakarta gave us the opportunity to see places that I didn’t even think I would want to see, so I wanted to share a few of those with you.
One is Borobudur Temple in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. It is on the UNESCO World Heritage list, and it is one of the most amazing places I have ever been. Borobudur Temple is a Buddhist temple built in the 9th century. As soon as you see it, you are in awe of this amazing structure and wonder how something so beautiful and amazing was built with no modern machinery. It is one of those structures that takes your breath away.
Another place that was not on my list but so glad we visited was visiting Ho Chi Minh City, or also known as Saigon. I always loved Vietnamese food but never thought to go there. We spent our first Christmas abroad in Ho Chi Minh, and it was such a wonderful experience. To see the communism propaganda and so many Christians was a huge change for us. But the history of the city is just amazing!
It may sound strange, but another is India. I knew I always wanted to see the Taj Mahal, but never realized how huge India is and how much history there is in the country. We only got to see Delhi and Agra, but it was worth it! Delhi has tons of history, amazing structures, beautiful people, and colors, and far exceeded all my expectations! India should be on every person’s must do list!
Thera is lots more, but one final thought is that need to visit and tour Indonesia. Most people don’t understand that Bali is an island in Indonesia. Is Bali nice, sure, but Indonesia has so many more beautiful places to visit. If you want to play it safe, not be too adventurous, and like a place that is touristy, then Bali is your place. If you want to think outside the box, go to untouched beaches and less tourist then there are a million and one other places in Indonesia to do that. This country has more than 17,000 islands, many with some of the most amazing beaches, terrain, animals and more. In three years we have not even touched the surface of what this amazing country has to offer, but we know we will be back to do more.
The biggest thing I learned was to think outside the box. Not just about travel but anything you THINK you may want to do in life. Write it down and do it, or wait and see if it’s even relevant later.
So here is my updated bucket list. I’m sure there are tons of things I could have put on there and didn’t that I’ve experienced and I’m sure I will add more as time goes on, but for now, this is what I would love to do and achieve. I’d love to hear what some of your bucket list items are too! Send me an email or leave a comment below.
- Learn to speak Spanish
- Live by the beach
- Own a convertible
- Receive a reward
- Sing the National Anthem at a sporting event
- Sit on a jury
- Start my own business
- Take a picture every day for a year
- Take the kids to Disneyland (June 2016)
- Take a photography class
- Be a mentor
- Grow a garden (and not kill it)
- Read 52 books in a year
- Design and build a house
- Build a piece of furniture
- Have LASIK
- Sponsor a girl in another country to go to school
- Finally, take a honeymoon trip
- Take a girls trip
- Be there when Dominic graduates college
- Be there when Jordan graduates college
- Be there when Pierce graduates college
- Be there when Dominic gets married
- Be there when Jordan gets married
- Be there when Pierce gets married
- See a live TED talk
- Get a complete makeover
- Own a Hermes Birkin bag
- Become a millionaire
- Boil a live lobster
- Have a dinner party for friends cooking food from another country
- Go on a wine tasting tour
- Saber a Champagne bottle
- Surprise someone for a day
- Attend the Olympics
- Get my CHL
- Learn how to golf (April 2017)
- Race a sports car
- Run a 5K
- See a game at Fenway Park
- Sky Dive
- Throw out the first pitch at a baseball game
- Tour the Louisville Slugger factory
- Visit the Baseball Hall of Fame
- Visit the Basketball Hall of Fame
- Watch the Celtics play at TD Garden
- Watch a game at Wrigley Field
- Go to the NBA Finals
- Attend the Final Four
- Go to the World Series
- Learn to do Yoga
- Learn to Ski
- Watch the Sooners in Norman with my kids
- Visit the beaches in Thailand (December 2015)
- Finally, go to Vegas! (June 2013)
- See the Sydney Opera House (April 2017)
- Visit France
- Stay in a villa over the water in the Maldives
- Visit Palau
- Go to Carnival
- Go to Italy traveling first class!
- Go to the top of the space needle (July 2003)
- See Mt. Rushmore
- Go to the top of Petronas Towers (December 2015)
- Take a trip on a train
- See Niagra Falls
- Travel around the Philippines
- Visit Greece
- Zipline in the rainforest of Costa Rica
- Visit Hawaii as an adult (January 2017)
- Visit Rockefeller Center at Christmas (January 2016)
- Visit San Francisco(September 2010)
- Go to Antelope Canyon in Arizona
- Go to Istanbul
- Go on a Safari in Africa
- Visit New England in the fall when the leaves change colors
- Visit Spain
- Go to the Today Show
- See theTaj Mahal (March 2017)
- Go to Bali (December 2014)
- Visit the Great Wall of China
- Visit Christ the Redeemer Statue
- Go to Machu Picchu
- Climb Chicken Itza
- See the Roman Colosseum
- Go to the Blue Caves, Zakynthos Island, Greece
- Go across the Capilano Suspension Bridge in Vancouver.
- Visit Namibia
- Visit the Chan Chan Archaeological Zone
- Visit the Liverpool – Maritime Mercantile City
- Fly first class
- Go to Cuba
- Visit at least 100 of the 196 countries in the world